Hey guys! So… a few weeks ago I headed up to America's Mart in Atlanta to check out the August apparel show. I had two reasons for wanting to go – 1. The Atlanta apparel market is supposed to be one of THE biggest markets out there and I wanted to see what all the hype was about, and 2. I was looking to buy some transitional pieces, you know, nothing too heavy because it’s still hot as Hades down here in Florida! It was my first trip to market and I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I'd done a little research before I went; but even so, nothing can quite prepare you for the 10+ floors of apparel that are staring you in the face when you walk in!!!
When I got there, I got my buyers badge and a catalog of all the vendors that were there. I knew there were a couple of vendors that I liked (from buying online) that I wanted to check out. I also wanted to see what all the other vendors had to offer so I started walking the floors. I browsed through all (well, a lot of them anyway) the booths and looked through all their sample pieces. I made note of the prices, quality, and when the item was available for delivery. Also, anything that I loved, I asked to take a picture of. When all was said and done, it took me over 8 hours to just do a quick browse the booths!!! I can’t even put into words how overwhelming for something like this is for a noob like me to do alone.
After looking at everything, I grabbed some Chik-Fil-A (yeah, they had a booth there!!!) and started going through my notes and pictures. It was decision time! I had a budget in mind that I wanted to keep so I had to go through a process of elimination. (I’m still small time, lol!!!) Anything that I didn’t buy, I still kept the pictures so that I could order from home at a later date. I went back to the vendors and made my purchases, including from a new vendor that I love and hope you will too!! As overwhelming as it was, I’d still say I had a pretty successful trip and I can’t wait to do it again now that I know what to expect. I will say after this experience, there are a few takeaways and they are as follows:
- Don’t be scared to dress comfy. There were so, so many people there dressed to the nines, what for, I don’t know!!!! But this girl right here will be rocking jeans and Nikes.
- The employees working the booth don’t like you, they like your credit card! They will do the most to get you to plop down your credit card!!!! Which leads me to my next point
- Bring an extra bag for all the goodies they give you. I think I have enough travel bags and pop sockets to last the rest of my life!
- Take your time! There’s so much to see and you don’t want to miss a thing!
- Bring a cell phone charger! You are using your phone all day with taking pics and taking notes!
- Lastly, remember to drop a pin in the parking garage you park at. Don’t be like me and get lost in some random garage you DID NOT park in! (that’s another story!!)
Well folks, I think that’s gonna be all the tips until the next market trip- I’m sure I will have some additional tips to add knowing me, lol. Seriously though, I can’t begin to tell you all how this has been such an amazing adventure thus far. If you’ve made it this far into the blog, thanks for reading and I hope you all love everything that I bought!!!
Until next time,